Resume page, cover & all Resumes
1 page Resume
Complete 3 pg.Resume
Monster Resume and covers hj E-Mail
& see what I can do for your Co.
Resume Richard Paul Spens 28515 Seven Mile Rd. Livonia, MI 48152-3501 updated 8-11- 06 phone# (248) 474 -2799 e-mail Richspens@yahoo.com Objective: Product Engineer Apply a Degree and 12 yrs hands-on design & project organizational experience of concept through production of mechanical &Electrical devices, power transmission, testing & development, fabrication, project management & patent # 5,588,257 put in production. Production cost analysis of competing designs evaluated. UL and CSA requirements knowledge applied if required. Product development schedules maintained with critical point reviews in a team environment. Testing performed in simulated and real-life environments prior to market introduction. I have an additional 7 years experience in fabricating my own parts and assemblies.
years experience in design, 10 years in testing, and 7 years fabricating
parts and assemblies.
Direct experience with design and development of mechanical and electrical devices, power transmission, project tracking, and
preliminary and production cost analysis of competing designs. UL and CSA
requirements and methods knowledge applied if required. Product development
schedules maintained through critical point reviews in a team environment.
Testing performed in simulated and real-life environments prior to market introduction. Additional experience in packaging printed circuit boards,
solving production problems, and interacting with marketing and customers to
specify new project requirements.
Carlesimo Products Inc. Returned 8/2012 to Present—(July/2014) Part time: Contract July August of 2011
Report to George Roest, Plant Superintendent.
Produce production Lay outs on molds for production personal to produce products. Final inspection of Pipe systems and components before customer shipment. Help production personal resolve problems and remember missed steps. Produce shop drawings or layouts from supplied drawings sent by customer. Manufacture of special inserts for molds. Equipment repair machinist. Repair production machines and equipment, machine replacement parts, maintain machinery. Prepare and repair molds to requirements. Lay out product for production. Inspection of product before shipment.Worked closely with plant supervisor maintaining production and repair of the machinery and Hi-Lo’s.
Product design and build engineer. RPS Enterprises, -Livonia MI ( 4/1996 -6/2010) Developed and ran my prototype development Business.
&nbs I turned client concepts into specifications, prototypes, and short run production.
I turned ideas into Sell-able reality for the most important person, the always right Customer.
• Using customer concept sketches and competitors pictures, prototyped, then machined for the entire stores display cases, 17 housing assembles 2 to 6 feet long, 4 with welded angled ends. LED housing assembles build at 1/3 competitors cost LED light strip currently working to customer satisfaction in Skyline Jewelry in Troy.
• Reported to the Customer-and-kept-them happy, by machining their parts to work as they expected.
• Designed and drew plans for a house addition which was accepted by the city. I built all electrical, plumbing, drywall, custom woodwork and exterior window install, trim & siding. I installed 200A breaker box & drop.
• Designed and made replacement gears using my rebuilt machines to repair machines.
• Consulted built and developed a unique linear actuator for use in robotic arms and legs, the actuator also is being developed into a variable force exercise machine.
* Consulted Electro-mechanical, & Chemical design development & fabrication of Spectroscopic automated environmental water analyzer.
* Consulted and built prototype prosthetic limbs with silicone rubber skin and unique actuators.
*Formulated spur Gear design and manufacturing program that calculates 35 interrelated solutions using 3 input variables. Accelerated the design machining & inspection of manufactured gears and gear sets.
* Fabricated and machined and $old to Head of Geology department. (using only photos in a trade magazine) College classroom interactive display set of geometric models.
Calculated angles and scaled size. Improved student visualization & comprehension 100%.
* Conceived, developed, rebuilt and made drawings if required then constructed many mechanical projects for customers. I bought & rebuilt 7 machine tools.. * I maintained and kept up with the latest engineering trends, attended CAD-CAA classes for Solid works ect, and by continuously reviewing and preparing to apply the latest concepts from the many trade magazines I continue to receive. I attended many engineering trade shows such as advanced productivity & Gear expo.
Project/Design Engineer (6/1986-4/1996)
Stanley Home Automation, A division of the Stanley Works Mfg. of Automatic Garage Door Openers. (Stock symbol SWK), 41700 Gardenbrook Dr., Novi, MI Reported to the Product Line Manager and Engineering Manager.
Responsible for all mechanical research, design, and production support of the residential garage door opener product line. Requirements included UL & CSA approval and validation, manufacturing engineering, product testing, production cost analysis, and evaluation of cost reduction/avoidance proposals.
· Completed value added plastic gear case assembly, improved design, eliminated previous processing problems and resultant part failures through an improved structure and material selection. Reduced assembly time by 20% and QC rejects by 80%.
· Designed and implemented use of inspection gauges for output shaft that resolved disputes between vendors and engineering.
· Redesigned garage door opener using 3D CAD which reduced size, improved lighting, increased ease of customer installation, and reduced cost ($108.78 to $96.67).
· Developed a steel tube alternative to a molded plastic structural component that was more cost competitive. The more robust appearance improved quality perception of product to the dealers. Reduced the total of all return goods by 8 %
· Transformed a hand worked low volume dealer garage door opener into a modern medium volume consumer product. New design contained the strength and robustness of the old design with a 50% price reduction.
· Eliminated grease separation in gear case after performing a complete temperature and lubrication performance analysis of existing and purposed materials, saved 3 to 4 yearly $5000 lawsuits tormenting my employer.
· Correctly redefined drawing and QC specifications, vendor process requirements, and built identical gauges for both our QC and the vendor for plastic timing gear system (molded plastic gears in use) instead of a machined gear set previously specified. Prevented breaking and skipping of teeth on gears. Avoided an additional product recall.
Mechanical Designer / Mechanical Technician (12/1983 - 4/1986)
Bell Northern Research (a Div. of NORTEL) Northern Telecommunication’s Research & Development division, a fortune 500 company, 100 Phoenix Dr., Ann Arbor, MI Reported to Mechanical Group Leader.
Worked with mechanical and electrical engineers on designing, fabricating, and assembling parts and mechanisms using worst case thermodynamic functional analysis for enclosure of Modular Integrated Voice Data System. Developed and maintained to latest revision prototypes and documentation of computer modules. Performed product verification through functionality, noise, vibration, and thermal tests. Assignments involved improving design, testing vibration and noise of main power supply, EMF shielding of transformer, developing electromechanical interlocks, and overcoming power supply bus insertion problems. Designed and built production fixtures for factory floor use.
· Considered and resolved constraints of UL standards on manufacturing cost and development schedule. Saved one month in UL regulatory review time loss.
· Mocked up, tested, and machined custom connector, built mold, and cast 80 plastic assemblies saving six to eight weeks of prototype tooling time quoted by supplier.
· Persevered with project engineers and engineering manager overnight, three nights a row by applying my model making skills to complete assembly and "polish" prototype computer system for functional and customer test review by corporate. Saved potential cancellation of $80M project due to failure at a critical junction.
· Transformed theoretical connector pin lubricant into reality, located all required chemicals, developed mixing procedure and an application method to successfully coat 100-pin connector assembly. Reduced connector force and its resulting breakage insertion 70%.
· Implemented electromechanical interlocks, calculated necessary timing with tolerance. Eliminated hot switching of modules resulting in destruction of $110 microprocessor.
· Solved & implemented resonance transformer induced noise reduction program. Vibration and EMI cut 60% by development and application of high silicon steel shielding. Application to and resealing of assemblies applied in house. Saved six to eight weeks of development cycle, dramatically improved quality perception of product.
Engineering Assistant (Full time 9/1983 - 12/1983)
LINK Engineering, (Mfg. of tire test, motor winding mach.) 3840-70 Elmira, Detroit,MI Reported to Engineering Manager.
Completed checker changes, updated drawings to as-built, researched and assembled drawings into complete package for shop use.
· Resolved disputes with machine shop by adding a specific process to transfer and resolve drawing changes to manufacturing and the machine shop. Saved 1 to 3 days process time and a lot of finger pointing in each cycle.
· Filled in for electrical engineer when he left company, saved 3 weeks in potential lost design time.
General Machinist (1982, through summer 1983)
Zimmerman Engineering, (design and job shop), 2460 Telegraph Rd, Southfield, MI Reported to owner/operator.
Maintained part tolerance and changed inserts, load and unload. Watched and maintained tolerances on Swiss automatic screw machines and CNC vertical mill. General machining, short runs, teardown and some simple set-ups. I Improved and repaired machinery and production facilities.
· Calculated optimum operating conditions program offsets and tooling of CNC. Increased production 10-20%.
Shop Foreman (part of 1979, summer 1980, 81)
Aqua Star Pools, Ann Arbor Trail Rd. Westland, MI Reported to company owner, kept supervisor informed of my assignments.
Set up woodworking and metalworking machinery, repaired and modified steel processing equipment, designed and developed new Apollo octagon pool, performed on site troubleshooting and repair, delivered and set up product.
· Built prototype and tooling for preproduction showroom model of octagon pool from verbal description, Design assured proper installation. Improved and completed product concept displaying feasibility.
· Developed and built from observations of production problems new steel processing line and racks for stock storage. Put equipment for production and stock in logical orderly sequence. Saved 20% on processing steel.
Stock Room Controller (Summer job 1979)
Flair Line, (mfg. of air and hydraulic cylinders) 130424 Flairline drive, Livonia, MI Reported to plant supervisor.
Assembled cylinders and tested for leaks and operation according to specifications. I Pulled and organized parts per design and put into kits for completion by assemblers.
· Within 2 weeks promoted to stockroom from assembler. If parts were not in stock, I placed an order for their manufacture, or tried to locate them in the machine shop room. Saved 2 weeks time compared to simply waiting for stock.
· Organized stock of major product into a linear sequence according to order pulled, saved 30% of the time necessary to pull parts for assembly kits.
Lathe Hand, Piecework (summer 1978)
H.R. Krueger Machine Tool Co., Inc. (Designer and mfg. of assembly line machining centers) 31506 Grand River Road, Farmington, MI Reported to shop Foreman.
Selected stock and blueprint to produce 1 to 10 parts on worn out W&S #4 Turret Lathe.
· Developed method to produce long shafting correctly for rush jobs given me, normally beyond the capability of my (way out of tolerance) machine. Produced rush jobs as given to me. Enabled machine tools to be assembled on schedule.
· Lawrence Technological University, 1983, BSMET in Engineering, cum laude.
· Electronic Engineering Technology, degree two-thirds complete.
Two year, High School 1000 hr.
vocational certificate in machine trades 3.0GPA.
Rebuilt my system twice (hardware and software), CAD-CAM
experience on Applicon, Gerber, and Grafteck Systems
Engineering training courses: Boothroyd-Dewherst's design for manufacture and assembly (3 day course), ANSI Geometric Tolerance and Dimensioning (3 day course), AGMA Gear Design Tolerance and Manufacture (1 week course), Underwriters Laboratory's Selecting & Applying Recognized Materials and Components (2 day course), General Electric Plastic's Design for Manufacture (5 day course), CAD/CAM 3 dimensional design for CAD-KEY (3 day course)
Dean's List - two years, Lawrence Institute of Technology (now called Lawrence Technological University)
· Dean's List - one year, Schoolcraft College
· Top 12% nationally on academic comprehension test
REFERENCES AVAILABLE ON REQUEST
Home page Cover letter & Resumes 1 page Resume Monster Resume and covers
E-Mail me about what I can do for your Company